Don’t Mess With Texas Water
To the Railroad Commission of Texas:
The Permian Highway Pipeline (PHP) is a threat to the sole source of drinking water for 1.5+ million central Texans from Austin to San Antonio. It is an egregious assault on the people of this region to allow a leaking, exploding fracked gas pipeline to traverse the Edwards and Trinity aquifers. The construction process alone has already contaminated wells in Blanco County. The PHP could contaminate our aquifers for decades—or forever—if ever allowed to be placed into service.
Is Kinder Morgan’s short-term gain really worth risking our priceless water supply?
What would your grandchildren say if they knew you allowed this to happen?
We demand the Railroad Commission do the following to protect people, water, land and air in Texas:
1. Stop any remaining PHP construction immediately.
2. Hold Kinder Morgan accountable for the damage already done; The PHP should not be placed into service until ALL financial obligations to landowners are satisfied.
3. Immediately stop accepting any contributions from players in the industry which we pay you to regulate.
4. Put People Over Profit… Regulate and exercise full-time OVERSIGHT over existing Pipeline Safety & Maintenance practices. Protect your constituents from Health Risks and Pollution Threats to surface & ground water—including all Aquifers. Protect the rights of Nature.
5. Stop the wasteful, polluting practice of Flaring, Venting and Blowdown of methane gas at well-heads, and act to stop methane leaks from gas infrastructure. Violators must be fined at the MAXIMUM ALLOWED, and shut down for more than ONE violation.
6. Plan for a rapid and equitable transition away from fossil fuels and towards a 100% clean energy future by 2030. The RRC must publish their plan for a Managed Decline of Oil and Gas production by June 1 of 2021.
The people voted you in. The people can vote you out. We know who has ‘donated’ the most to your campaigns… and it should be illegal to accept money from the entities we pay you to regulate. Time to stand up for OUR interests for a change. It is—at least—a moral obligation.